Sunday, 7 September 2008

The woes of AOL helplines and Sarah Palin.

I haven't written in a while, seeing as my ancient computer has been infected by a terrible virus, resulting in me paying... £47! To get it fixed, which was from my own college fund; and then to make it worse, my AOL modem decided to break afterwards, which led me to calling (the not so freephone) AOL helpline- which was NO HELP. Honestly, if you ever have a problem with your connection, just select option 1 and tell them you're getting a divorce. They only sent me a new router (for free) because I wanted to move to BT Broadband, even though it would cost.... ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY POUNDS to cancel the contract... what bullocks.
Any who, back to normality, school, exams, coffee... the way things should be.

Thinks that have bothered me:

1. What's all the hub-bub with Sarah Palin? I'm not American (evidently) but their politics seem to be drifting into my life, esp. in Spectator magazine, or on the news. Of course, it is to be expected, the US is after all the most powerful nation on the Earth economically wise etc, but even the polices that do not technically affect me, seem to really get my goat. Now this is really my problem with her idea of teaching creationism in schools, I mean it's bad enough that they all pledge allegiance to their flag, why add the extra conformity of telling people what to think on a religious basis? In my ROMAN CATHOLIC school, I have to learn about the big bang and evolution; even though I do actually believe that God made these two evens happen, strictly speaking I shouldn't, nor should I have to learn about it as if I do. However these two theories are based on fact, evidence, and therefore can be treated as mere facts to write in an exam, just to pass the grade, but creationism, in my view is completely different, as it is more of a belief, and can't physically be proved as highly likely facts. This to me, makes it harder for someone of another religion being forced to learn about something they have no belief in, and thereby makes the idea from the Republicans quite foolish. Though I hope that due to my non American-ness, I merely mis read that this idea was actually put forward, because I think it's a bit of an insult to the American institution to say that it is the 'land of the free' when your children do not have the 'freedom' to not learn someone else's religion (as their own) for an exam.

2. The Anti Shoe is GAY (www.theantishoe.com). It's a nice idea, they want to keep our joints healthy and supple, but come on! If humanity has lasted God only knows how long without the glory of a stupid looking, though admittedly clever shoe, I think it'll do just fine without it.

3. Is it me, or is there an endless supply of unattractive people sleeping with other unattractive people then arguing about it, and then going on The Jeremy Kyle Show to whine about it? Okay, so I sound extremely shallow at this moment in time, but hasn't anyone else noticed it? In everyday life (and I don't live a posh one) I see lots of okay looking people, so how come suddenly all these not so great looking people end up on the show, yet the nice looking ones are in the audience? What is this show? Some sort of circus? And for some obscure unknown reason, most of the stories I've seen on it are about people cheating on their partners, or not knowing the paternity of their child/ children; can't these people purchase protection? It's not like the benefits that tax payers pay for can't cover protection, or I dunno... maybe they could hmm... Get a job?

One thing that hasn't bothered me:

Roswell! Good on E4 for providing the repeats of the American Hit series, while there's nothing on the television on a weekend morn, E4 have seized the opportunity to show good old fashioned teen drama... with aliens.

No comments: